A SUSPECT HAS BEEN ARRESTED BY THE POLICE FOR BEING IN POSSESSION OF A CELLPHONE THAT BELONGS TO TEENAGER WHO HAD BEEN RECENTLY RAPED.
The man was arrested after a Port Elizabeth neighbourhood watch a personal security company and therefore the police were alerted. The police said the 29-year-old suspect was arrested at the N2 freeway near Baywest on Monday.
“It is alleged that at about 6.50am, an 18-year-old teenager was standing in Seaview Road in Chelsea expecting her transport when she was approached by an unknown male. The suspect requested that the teenager walk with him and when she refused, he grabbed her by the arm and took her into the nearby bush where he allegedly raped her. The suspect also took her cellphone and left.”
She reported the crime immediately she got home. After which, the neighbourhood watch, a personal secuirity company and therefore the police were contacted. They began their search and investigation aimed toward finding the suspect.
The police said the stolen cellphone was found in his possession. He was arrested and detained on a charge of rape and robbery.
He is to seem before Port Elizabeth magistrate’s court on Wednesday.
Maj-Gen Thembisile Patekile, the Mandela Bay district commissioner , commended the efforts of the safety company and therefore the neighbourhood await partnering and springing to action immediately.
“Partnership between the police and therefore the public must be supported and strengthened by all members of the community. it's through this active partnership that we'll be ready to work together to scale back and combat crime within the communities we serve,” said Patekile.